Joseph: his brothers abused him, Potiphar’s wife lied about him, and the cup bearer forgot him. There is a temptation to be resentful, angry, and depressed. Two years later…God’s plan, as always, is still in motion.
- I have a question. Was the Pharaoh here the same Pharaoh 2 years ago, Potiphar? If anyone has an insight on this I would love to know.
- Magicians: They are scholars that study sciences, reading the stars, interpreting dreams, seeing the future….and some magic. Yes, they were smart, yes they knew magic, they could even preform it with the Satan’s help. BUT God is in control of Satan, and on this day he kept him on a short leash SO THAT Joseph can be lifted up.
- The dreams were interpreted, all credit going to the Lord.
- A plan was also stated (from God)
- Joseph is the #2 in command of Egypt. Egypt is THE world power at the time.
- At the age of 30….(if I have a trivia night, that might be a question). So how long has it been??Joseph was sold at the age of 17!
- So Joseph has 2 sons:
So does this mean we will have 13 tribes of Israel? Spoiler alert. No, Levi does not become a tribe…God has another plan for 1 of the sons. Levi is carved our for a whole other purpose. BUT wait, Manasseh and Ephraim are born from a Gentile woman. That’s right…we were always grafted in to God’s love. Think on that for a moment.
Chapter 42: The 10 brothers did not recognize Joseph. Well he has been in Egypt 13 years…as an official he looks and talks like an Egytian (if you are old like me you might hum the song by the Bangels)…he walks like one too.
So why does Joseph send for the missing brother? And why is Jacob so distressed about this? Why am I calling him Jacob not Israel right now? Jacob LOVED Rachel. She gave him only 2 sons. Joseph and Benjamin. Have the brothers also abused Benjamin out of jealousy? Joseph wants proof that his only blood brother is ok.
38 But Jacob said, “My son will not go down there with you; his brother is dead and he is the only one left. If harm comes to him on the journey you are taking, you will bring my gray head down to the grave in sorrow.”